Sunday, May 30, 2010

Foods I have come to LOVE. Nanny always said....

....try everything once, you might be surprised how much you like it!!! She was SO wise. 
Li hing mui is salty dried plum. It can be found in Hawaiian and Asian markets. It has a strong, distinctive flavor, and is often said to be an acquired taste, as it has a combination of sweet, sour, and salty taste. It has also been described as tart, and even tangy. ..It's used as a powder as well - for rims of martini glasses and on top of Shave Ice, and used as a flavor also for Shave Ice (Which is where I fell in love with it!!!)
Mochi (Japanese: ) is a Japanese rice cake made of glutinous rice pounded into paste and molded into shape. In Japan it is traditionally made in a ceremony called mochitsuki. I get this on top of my Shave Ice. It is wonderful! They make it several different ways too but I like it plain. Crazy chewy texture. 
Ahi - These tuna reach about 300 pounds in weight. They feature a pale pink flesh that is relatively mild. Also called "Yellowfin tuna." I never used to be able to eat fish raw. I LOVE it now. Ahi Poke is such a yummy meal.
Caviar is the processed, salted roe of certain species of fish, most notably the sturgeon (black caviar) and the salmon (red caviar). It is commercially marketed worldwide as a delicacy and is eaten as a garnish or a spread; for example, with hors d'œuvres. The California roll is a maki-zushi (roll), a kind of sushi roll, usually made inside-out, containing cucumber, crab meat or imitation crab stick ...I never liked sushi or caviar before - EVER. Now I could eat it every day. I only like caviar on California Rolls and on Calamari, crazy chewy texture but I like it! 

2 comments:

  1. I love Mochi!! My aunt took us out once to have Japanese and we had these for dessert. I wish I could find these in a store or better yet make them! They are light yet so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, do I know who you are?!? Sorry! Yes....I love mochi too! Love it!

    ReplyDelete