Sunday, May 16, 2010

Five Year Letter.


Five years ago in January, my English teacher Mr. Cheesman had us write a “Five year letter”. We were to write about where we were in life then and where we want to be in five years, what we want accomplished. He had us pick two people to write a letter to us as well. We stuffed the three letters inside an envelope, added a postage stamp and addressed it to the most secure address where we could be found. My mom sent me a package the other day, and in it was this envelope addressed to me, by me. My five year letter. I took a deep breath knowing that I had many rough patches in my past not remembering what so ever what I wrote or who I had write me. After staring at this envelope for what seemed like forever I opened it. 
 A letter from Sam, my first boyfriend. By this time we had just started dating so it was pretty funny. He talks about wanting to show me his favorite music and his favorite movie and things like that. It was such an elementary and childlike letter.
Me and Ava - our Senior Year in HS. Best Friends. 
I moved to the next letter, from my now sister in law Ava. It was probably one of the sweetest reminders of our friendship. She has always had a way with words and this note was very sincere and tender, very much from the heart. She starts with “Hey chica bonita. I love you don’t ever forget that.” You have no idea how I needed to hear that. She talks about what we have done together, she tells of how I have been a friend to her. Then she starts telling me her dreams for her future. Ah, and of this I am so proud. She plans to go to FIDM, she did. She did finish in a school in Seattle. She talked about not knowing when she wants to get married but she knows that the Lord has great plans for her. And he did, she is married to my brother, Caleb. She wanted to run her own line of clothing – which she has sort-of accomplished as much as she can at this point. She wants to have a line of quality clothing and donate the clothes to third world countries or homeless people here in America, she felt that was something the Lord wants her to do – she still has the same heart for this I believe, even though she hasn’t done it yet, I am proud.  She goes off on what she thinks I will accomplish and says just the most precious thing to me “I think you will end up doing something with photography-by now you maybe are in college, but judging from your talent im not sure if you need to go to school for photography. “ It will take ages for me to explain to you why this means so much, in a nutshell – I wanted to go, got accepted to the hardest photography school to get into and the best, but didn’t have the confidence in my memory to perform the way I used to before my car accident.  She then gives me 9 verses to look up. What a great friend. She says some other things but I am hiding them in my heart. Ah, what a blessing of a letter. I think this one I will cherish forever. We are not as close unfortunately as we used to be, but never the less sisters and I believe always friends first.
Finally I come across my letter. “Currently I am a senior about to graduate from Lynden High School. I am doing all right in school – passing all, but struggling with my brain injury. I have an immense amount of Dr. Appointments from my car accident. Physical therapy, physical therapy for vertigo (dizziness) counselor apps, regular Dr. appointments, massage therapy, I see psychiatrist and neurologist and a neuropsychiatrist all due to fricken teenagers playing games on the badger. I am unemployed but I work with Sam Gardner a professional photographer and am job-hunting today as well as tomorrow. I have my own mini business Katz photography. I take senior, family, kid, and wedding portraits. I love taking pictures, it’s my passion. I got accepted to Brooks institute of photography but I cannot go – sad. But it’s all-good. My dad’s tumors aren’t as bad right now. He’s a principal (vice) at Mt. baker – Kendal elementary. He loves working with kids and is a city councilman. Peter is graduating college a day after me with his bachelors in pre med I think. Or something like that, but he just discovered that he wants to do something where he will have time for wife and kids and sports he loves to do (snowboarding, show shoeing, tennis, hiking,) Caleb is getting his transfer degree this year I think at WCC. He doesn’t know what he wants. Michael, fresh in HS – lynden – tennis, swim and smart as ever – afro boy. Mother, dearest mother, when not working as a recess duty she is remodeling the house or cooking or spending time with the Lord. Me, I like to be busy at all times – with friends mostly. Im a student leader in young life, loving those around me to the Lord. I go to Christ the king church with Ava Fernandes my best friend and love it. Don’t really go or have a youth group. Grandparents are healthy. I’ve been struggling from depression from the loss of Joseph Nuckolls and Malorie Nonhofff. I am hoping to attend Whatcom 1 yr and then new Zealand Capernwray then a trade school for 2 years …….” Ah how sad this letter makes me. I did not write this letter as if from the heart. I was writing fast as if to get this stupid assignment over. I hated my life back then. I was soo unhappy. This letter reeks of sadness. I couldn’t write about my hopes and dreams because I was focused on my issues. I had no hopes and my dreams had been trampled on, which is where I decided to focus on the accomplishments of the Loved ones surrounding me.  On the flip side, look how far I have come?! Praise you Lord for new beginnings.  I have let the Lord back in my heart; I have married a prince, my prince. I am a professional photographer. I have a home and a kitty. I have established a whole other life completely outside of my box and I am happy. I have numerous loved ones, for that alone I am blessed. I am not playing soccer right now because I don’t want to spend money on cleats and pads and such not because of fear, sort of but mostly. I am not playing tennis because my racket is in WA and needs to be restrung. I get a massage about once every two or so months. I am alive and well and healthy. Yes, I have to try every day and I have to work on remembering things and sometimes still just won’t but it doesn’t and can’t hold me down. I am stronger. I have the Lord on my side.  Wow, So thank you Mr. Cheesman for this assignment. Thank you for giving us perspective and encouragement. Without even trying to you blessed me through this. Thank you.
Phil 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who Strengthens Me. (Ava's verse.)

7 comments:

  1. I love your picture! And how perfectly amazing to look at all the Lord has done in your world in just 5 years! It makes me wonder where you will be in 5 more years!! Can't wait to watch your life! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah it's crazy. Ya know, I was thinking that I should write another 5 year letter. :) Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love this, Kat. What amazing spirit God has given you. I think it would be a great idea to write another 5 year letter! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Just found your blog and loved it! Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Kat, I had no idea all that you have gone through. What a precious gift the letter is. I totally think you should write another 5 year letter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this idea! I'm totally going to do it now. I would have loved to have done this five years ago. What a great little time capsule :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, thanks Mrs. Goff! I think I will write one!
    "Rejoyce" - thank you - you're sweet!
    Leslie - Yeah, a lot of people don't - it's in the past so i don't dwell on it - publicly - but if something relates to then i talk about it.
    Lindz - You totally should write one! So fun.

    ReplyDelete