Thursday, November 12, 2009

Polo Tournament

When I hear Polo Tournament I think hmm..."Pretty Lady" Ya know, dressed up in classic 50's style dresses, polka dots, beautiful large hats with a possible ribbon attached. I think of the men dressed in "Polo" shirts with slacks and nice shoes, cleanly shaven and smelling fresh ready to place bets on who will win anxiously paying attention because their money is at stake.  So here I am in Maui where several wealthy people reside, and I am invited to a Polo Tournament.  So I put on my jewelry, my semi-dressy grey and white stripped skirt and a white tank with my "grandma sweater" (as chris calls it).  I have done my hair especially nice and put on make-up all to try and fit into the "Classy" scene and am now ready to go.  Dave and Joyce pick me up and take me upcountry which is where the event takes place. As we start to turn into the driveway I notice several things that are nothing like the Polo Tournament I imagined. I see Cowboy boots all over, greasy messed up hair and sweat with jeans and tanks all of which I normally fit in with just fine!  All that fuss for nothing! No one was prissy - it was just like a family pot-luck of strangers! Everyone brought their camping/beach chairs to set up to watch the match.  Kids were running all over the place coming in and out of the main covered area for food.  Random people were walking around with a plate of cookies to pass out. There were women working together to make leis for the winners of the match. It was literally like a family gathering - everyone was so nice and welcoming! Such a different side of Maui to see! So the Match would start and then for some reason (I don't really know the rules of the game) the players would stop for what seemed to be 5-10 minutes at a time.  This amount of time is what the announcer would call 1 hawaiian minute (hah!). To start this waiting time off the announcer gave all the people in the covered area a whistle - and when he said "And there was a whistle!" everyone was to blow it! Very family friendly and very fun! The horses were exquisite and the game was intriguing to me! I have always wanted a horse and or to be a rancher so I just about had my jaw dropped the whole time watching this event! This lasted about 2 1/2 hours! So much fun and just such a different outlook on the game! We got back to Lahaina and went out to dinner with Chris cause he was off work! What an experience!


You see the table of food? Everyone just hanging out!

The announcer.

Dave with his whistle.

The BEAUTIFUL Leis.

Just the Photographer and the Rancher in me Loved this.

Oahu (White) 7-2 Maui (Blue)

2 comments:

  1. Love the boot photo! Sounds very cool. Don't you just love stepping out of your area to experience something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leslie! Oh It was SOO cool! Yes Chris and I Love doing new things - going new places! I wish he could have come! But it was so great!

    ReplyDelete